Sunday, July 19, 2015

WIWS: Begginings of a capsule wardrobe

Last week I completely emptied my closet. I haven't really gone "konmari" on it yet, since I haven't had the privilege of reading the book, but it was a pretty big purge.

I hoped to rid all items that didn't make me feel fabulous, but I ended up settling for most that at least fit because, well, post partum. However, I'm learning to accessorize and experiment with make up. It makes getting dressed just a little more fun :)

My goal was to have 12 everyday summer outfits that weren't sweatpants, but were easy to throw on. I know, twelve outfits probably doesn't quite fit the bill for "capsule wardrobe" size, but with a baby that spits up all over me several times a day, I can't bank on five outfits, or I'd have to do laundry twice a day. Also, it's been invaluable to me that time I save by already having outfits put together.

I don't claim to be any type of fashionista, but I'll start sharing my outfits on the blog in case anyone is interested. I was very surprised by just shopping my closet, how much I could put together and find that wasn't actually too small for my postpartum body!

Here is what I wore last Sunday. Rosie was napping or she would have gotten in on the picture action. She and Ellie wore matching dresses. Adorable ;)

top: Kohls, Skirt: JCrew, Shoes: No idea, Necklace: from my mom's jewelry box.

Also, check out the deck! My husband started powerwashing it. It's amazing what some high powered water alone can do.

And here is what I wore this Sunday. Excuse the awkward posing...

Top: NY & Co, Skirt, Old Navy, Sandals: Target, Necklace, Premier Designs, Earrings, NY & Co.

So this week I actually had a different shirt in the queue that was a bit more interesting, but the neckline really wasn't working with my nursing tank, so I guess you could say I went with the schoolgirl uniform look of white and navy. It was pretty boring, so I tried to add a little pop with the sandals.They are orange, in case you can't tell.

Oh, and confession... I got rid of ten pairs of shoes painlessly...but you don't want to know how many I have left! Definitely doesn't fit the definition of a capsule wardrobe, but baby steps, baby steps.

Linking up with Fine Linen and Purple for WIWS!


4 comments:

  1. I'm with you on the not-capsule wardrobe - I could probably stand to get rid of 10 pairs of shoes and be fine, too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on the not-capsule wardrobe - I could probably stand to get rid of 10 pairs of shoes and be fine, too...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute! I need to purge my wardrobe even more than I have...but, yes, all these various sizes I go through with pregnancy and post partum don't help, plus spit-up and banana-covered toddler hands, etc.! But whenever I buy clothes now, I try to ask myself if it will work through various stages....
    I, as you know, am not really a big shopper or a shoe person. So I fairly easily got my shoes down to five or six pairs and boots this winter. It's nice to be able to see the floor of my closet again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Solidarity On trying to pare down to a capsule wardrobe. I'm in love with the purple shirt on your first photo! Thanks so much for linking up!

    ReplyDelete